Footage Released Of Tote Firebombing As Police Investigate

on in Local News


Footage Released Of Tote Firebombing As Police Investigate

Following on from yesterday’s report that Melbourne’s iconic Collingwood live music venue, The Tote, was the target of a Molotov cocktail attack, the CCTV footage of the arsonist that was originally handed to police while they conducted their investigation has now surfaced online.

While the Tote’s co-owner Jon Perring said there was no serious damage from the attack, the pub has been closed for two days before going ahead with its scheduled Halloween bash tomorrow night, featuring High Fangs, Sun God Replica, Ciggie Witch, and Constant Killer.

Perring also said he didn’t know who could be behind the attack, or who the vandal might be, but that the CCTV footage handed over to authorities, as well as the help of the general public, would help track down and identify the perpetrator. “Someone obviously had a crack at us,” said Perring, “but it’s business as usual.”

The front bar was left unscathed by the fire bombing, but one of the male toilets was heavily damaged in the attack, “we lost a dunny, but they probably did us a favour,” said Perring, writing on the venue’s Facebook page: “one toilet will need to be replaced but other than that the only difference you’ll notice is a slight change to the aroma of the men’s room.”

Much like the recent raiders of Sydney’s Annandale Hotel, two youths who turned themselves in after they ransacked the venue – all caught on CCTV footage; Perring and the Tote team are hoping that public information will help bring the arsonist to justice.

Adding that, “if anyone has any information about the idiot who could have cost bands their upcoming shows and potentially put our staff and punters in harms way, they should contact Crime Stoppers.”

Anyone with information regarding the attack is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

The Melbourne venue has survived much worse before, most famously nearly being shut down in early 2010 by strict liquor licensing laws, but resurrected by Perring, along with business partners Andrew Portokallis and Sam Crupi, just a few months after more than 20,000 people took part in the Save Live Australian Music (SLAM) rally, with musicians, industry figures, and the public alike all taking to the streets to fight for the survival of Australia’s live music scene.

The entire event was recently the subject of the documentary, Persecution Blues: The Battle For The Tote, which premiered at last year’s Melbourne International Film Festival to critical acclaim.

Whatever Happened To My Local Music Venue?

Whatever Happened To My Local Music Venue?

Ever wandered down on a Friday evening to catch a beer and some live music only to find your beloved venue has up and disappeared? We...


Share This Article


Like Tone Deaf On Facebook


Aussie Music News, Daily To Your Inbox

Get the latest music news, opinion, interviews, freebies, tracks, videos and more delivered straight to your inbox at lunchtime every weekday.

comments powered by Disqus