The Most Popular Sporting Songs
British institution, PRS For Music, recently polled its members to find out what the most popular sporting song was in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics. The results feature both stone cold classics ripe for sports montages (cue footage of Sylvester Stallone punching meat), while other selections are more than a little bizarre (cue footage of athletes falling over hurdles). Either way, here's the Top 20 in its entirety for the 'Most Popular Sporting Songs'.
20. 'We Will Rock You' – Queen Stomping, clapping and crowd-chanting. Queen's is an obvious choice to get the sports crowds going.
19. Theme From Chariots of Fire The theme from the Oscar-winning film about a Scottish distance runner is a no-brainer. You can just picture the slow-mo training sequence on the beach.
18. 'Don't Stop Believin' – Journey Overplayed? Yes. Most likely to get you pumped up before getting athletic? Most definitely. That guitar solo is the sound of champions.
17. 'Another One Bites The Dust' – Queen Queen's second entry is an ever-tough tune. You can sneer down the podium at the #2 spot with this motoring bassline and snapping rhythm.
16. 'Gonna Fly Now' – from Rocky Bill Conti's theme for the ultimate underdog boxer still gets the blood pumping all these years on. Adriaaaaaaan!
15. 'Jump Around' – House of Pain Hip-hop is an interesting choice to throw some discus and javelins to, but when it comes to the high jump? Well...
14. '(Simply) the Best' – Tina Turner With a synth groove as big as Ms. Turner's impossible plumage and lyrics as inspirational as that breathtaking sax solo, this is music to win by.
13. 'Eye of the Tiger' – Survivor But of course, when in need of a song to track your training montage, you simply cannot go past Survivor's enduring hit.
12. 'The Long and Winding Road' – The Beatles It's difficult to imagine large tennis rallies or football matches being played out to McCartney's syrupy ballad, but those Brits love a crooning win.
11. 'Tracks of My Tears' – Smokey Robinson Perhaps one for those not lucky enough to capture pole position, the theme for 'there's always next time crybaby!'
10. 'Shine' – Take That OK, those British voters are just taking the mickey now, perhaps the voters should be taken for a drug test.
9. 'We Are The Champions' – Queen Queen's bellowing anthem and third entry in the list, amazingly just manages to scrape in the Top 10.
8. 'Silver Machine' – Hawkwind Better than 'We Are The Champions' ...Really!? It's got that pulse and drive, but one of the best sporting songs of all time?
7. 'The Winner Takes It All' – Abba The passion and the glory are all there in the title, the hard work and determination paying in handsome vindication.
6. 'Wake Me Up!' – Wham! You can probably picture George Michael bouncing along to a sports montage of 80s athletes, but there's leaner cuts to be had today.
5. 'Thriller' – Michael Jackson Things start to look a bit bonkers as we reach the Top 5. If anyone receives a medal to this song, it's probably for some athletic dancing than feats of sporting acumen.
4. 'Gold' – Spandau Ballet YES! That's more like it. Because gold is the colour of the best there is!
3. 'Higher & Higher – Jackie Wilson Wilson's R&B classic remains an anthem of pushing through and doing your best on every level.
2. 'Start Me Up' – Rolling Stones The Wrinkled Warriors take the Silver with their 80s mega-single, living proof that passion and endurance go an extremely long way.
1. 'Jump' – Van Halen Eddie Van Halen's signature keyboard riff takes first place, with a tune that's as big and inspirational as the band intended it to be. Able to soundtrack both the heat of the race and the amazing celebrations that follow a triumph.
Share This Slideshow
Join Us On Facebook
You May Also Be Interested In
Melbourne indie boutique festival Sugar Mountain has been conspicuously absent from the ream of...
3 days ago
The Urbanspoon rating for a American pizza restaurant is about to skyrocket, but it’s...
1 day ago
The John Butler Trio Australian Tour 2014 has been announced. Having recently completed a quick...
3 days ago
This past weekend, the Australian music scene was gifted with the news that two...
4 days ago